Friday, December 19, 2014

Teddy Turns One...

This past weekend, we rang in Teddy Bear’s 1st birthday!
His FIRST birthday...  Wait.  What?!
What’s that old saying?!...
 “Time flies when you’re having fun!”
Yep, that’s it!
And it has definitely proven to be true this past year!
 
December 12th, a year ago, I instantly fell in love with his tiny face.
As I drove to pick him up that night I was excited and nervous at the same time.
Excited.  Nervous. Anxious. Ecstatic.
I was an emotional mess!
My thoughts were running in circles…
“Are we making the right decision?”
“I can’t believe he’s really mine!”
“What if he doesn’t like me?”
“I can’t wait to hug him and squeeze him tight!”

I got out of my car, buttoned my coat, and took a deep breath.
 My heart was pounding and my hands were clammy.
I knocked on the door.
A few seconds later, it opened – and I laid eyes on him for the first time!

He was snuggled in the arms of his first human momma. 
The momma whose calling and mission in life is to help any and all of God’s creatures.
The momma who had listened to my pleads and then her heart. 
The momma who was trusting me to give him a happy forever home.

She sat him down on the ground and all I remember feeling was shock. 
He was a fluff ball.  He didn’t even look like a puppy.
He looked more like a living, breathing teddy bear.
(Hence his name!)
And, he was so tiny…
So tiny, that I was scared I’d hurt him by squeezing him tight like I so desperately wanted to.
He followed her every step. 
He paid me no attention at all.
And, he whined - a lot.
That thought, “Are we making the right decision?” popped back into my head.

I sat him in the passenger seat and started the car.
He began to whine and cry again.
“This is going to be a disaster...”, I said to myself.
I picked him up and placed him in my lap.
And, then…it happened.

He climbed his way up my chest and nuzzled himself against my neck.
He rested his head on my shoulder.
And, he slept the entire drive to his new home.
All my fears melted away.
It was going to be okay.

When I think back on that day, I had no idea the impact that Teddy would have on my life.
He is just the best little thing…  The cutest little thing…
And, I could just eat him up!
Heaven sent is what he is…

And, to me, that was reason enough and worth a big celebration!
So celebrate, we did – by hosting a Christmas Paw-ty!
Get it?!  I got the idea from Pinterest!
We had cake, punch, and Santa's HoHoHo Juice!
Christmas music played in the background!
Teddy dressed for the occasion by wearing a red bow tie around his neck!
However, he put his foot down about wearing the birthday hat!
Party pooper!!!
And, much to his surprise, guests arrived with presents and treats!
I know to some it probably seems silly…
And before the eye rolls and giggles start…allow me to try and explain.

I just want Teddy’s little life to be the best thing ever.
I know he won’t be here with us forever.
It’s something I shed tears over on a fairly regular basis.
It really is the cruelest joke of all that man’s best friend doesn’t live nearly as long as man…

But, as long as he is here – which I hope and pray is many, many more years...
I am going to love and spoil the you know what out of him!
And, what kind of momma would I be if I didn’t acknowledge her child’s first birthday?!
Yes, I know he isn’t a real child…
But, he’s our child and that’s exactly how we treat him!
I mean, you try and resist that face!!!

And, if I love my human babies one day half as much as I love Teddy, well...everyone will be really, really loved! 

You only turn one once!
Happy HAPPY 1st Birthday, Teddy Bear!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...