Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"Always" Isn't Always Going To Be Perfect...

My best friend got married this past weekend!
She was stunning!
Her hair, her makeup, and her dress - perfect!
The bridesmaids wore coral and the groomsmen wore Converses!
The flowers, the music, and the ceremony - perfect!
Despite the brief early evening thunderstorm everything turned out beautiful
and God allowed mother nature to shine a striking rainbow overhead!
It was almost magical...and I've been told that seeing a rainbow on your wedding day is good luck!
True or not - I consider it a sign of great happiness from above!
...And Saturday was definitely a day full of happy hearts!
Professional Photography By:  Bow Tie Collaborative
'Like' Bow Tie Collaborative on Facebook
. . .

The reception was a celebration to remember!
Lots of laughs, smiles everywhere, and the dance floor was packed!
Just like the ceremony - everything was perfect!
My handsome husband even had on a matching tie!
 
Did I mention that I was Matron of Honor?!
...And, an honor it was!
It meant the world to me that I got to stand beside my best friend as she said, "I do!"
I tried my best to calm her nerves.
I tried to be with her every step of the way.
Making sure her makeup was flawless. 
Every hair was in place.
Her dress fluffed.
I wanted to make sure everything was PERFECT!

I had spent several hours preparing my toast to the bride and groom!
I wrote, erased, and rewrote at least ten times!
I read it over and over.
Rehearsed it - out loud - in front of the mirror.
It was going to be short and sweet and PERFECT!
Because, the last thing I wanted to do was this...
I had nerves of steel the entire day.
That is, until it came time for the bride and groom to cut the cake!
I could feel my temperature rising.
My hands were getting clammy.
My heart felt like it was about to beat out of my chest.
"Pull it together," I told myself.
"Calm down and just breathe...it will be prefect," my pep talk continued.
 
The DJ handed me the microphone.
With a shaky voice, I introduced myself and greeted everyone.
...And then - my mind went blank.
My carefully written speech was in my hand.
...But I remember I suddenly felt too embarrassed to read it out loud.
The lump in my throat felt massive.
I starred at my best friend and her new husband, and proceeded with my toast the best that I could.
 
I have no idea what I said! 
However, I do know for a fact that I didn't say half of what I had planned to say.
Another fact - it was short and (hopefully) sweet! 
Needless to say, my toast was less than perfect...or the way I'd hoped it would be.
 
Some may be wondering why I shared my mishap...
Wasn't this about your best friend getting married?!
It is - and I promise that there is a point to be made!
. . .
 
The Best Man finished his toast and the music started to play again.
I quickly found my way back to the table, my husband, and my glass of wine!
I sat down and once again read that wrinkly, crumpled up piece of paper.
...And my own words, written for a different reason, hit home.
 
Good Evening -
 
For those of you who don't know me, I'm Judith, one of Melissa's best friends and her Matron of Honor.  I'd like to take this opportunity to once again congratulate the new Mr. and Mrs. Bowers!  You both look incredible - and happy!  ...And that makes me happy!  I've thought about this moment for a while and pondered over what exactly I wanted to say.  I thought about how I could elaborate on the fact that Missy and I have been friends for the past eleven years and how I love her dearly - like a sister.  But, that isn't what today is about...  Today is about the two of you!  The two of you beginning your lives together!  ...And even though I myself have only been married a short time - I've learned a lot and have some advice to share!
 
Remember that today and tonight is just the beginning of always!  ...And if I'm being completely honest - "always" isn't always going to be easy.  It isn't always going to be perfect.  Life can be hard.  Marriage can be hard. ...But both are so worth it!
 
Love each other.  Support each other.  Respect each other.  Believe in and encourage each other.  ...And communicate, communicate, communicate!  Being married doesn't mean you'll live a fairytale life.  Being married is two people facing life - and all the ups and downs - together.  Someone wise told Girard and I that we have to "give a little and take a little!"  ...And I truly believe if you do that - you'll be okay!
 
I'm so honored that you both allowed me to be a part of your special day!  I wish you both only the best - forever and always!
 
To Missy & Josh!
I love you both!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...