Thursday, July 10, 2014

Who Rescued Who...

Five years ago not much could make me happy. 
Most days I was doing good just to put one foot in front of the other. 
In the midst of the sadness, anger, and tears
I remember one thing that could always put a smile on my face…
Our family pet, my "baby brother", Duke.
I mean, who can't muster up a grin when in the presence of an adorable puppy?!
He was tiny, clumsy, and had ears soft as velvet.
As he grew - so did my love for him.  I needed him.

“Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and filling an emptiness
they didn’t even know they had.”

Fast forward to December 12th, 2013 - and Teddy Bear did just that.
Again, he was tiny, clumsy, and had fur the same color as the hair on my head!
The moment I first saw him, I just knew in my heart that he was supposed to be mine.
Sweet, sweet Teddy.  He was a bundle of indescribable happiness!
I had never had a dog that was all mine before.
And, I'm not going to lie...the responsibility scared me at first.
But, I have found that I love having something to care for.
Here you have this living, breathing creature that depends on you for literally everything.
Feeding them, bathing them, cleaning up after them...
Opening the doors and throwing tennis balls for them...
(And for retrieving said tennis balls when they get stuck under the coffee table!)
Teaching them that the roads are bad and ice cream is good...
Taking them on adventures...
Caring for them.  Protecting them.  
And most importantly - loving them.

When you think about it, there isn't a whole lot your dog could do without you...

But the return.  Oh, the return...
A stillness in your soul.
Unconditional love in your heart.
A smile on your face.
And, sunshine on a cloudy day!

I don't think there is any question as to who rescued who...
“The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, 
the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog.  
He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. 
He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world.  
When all other friends desert, he remains.” 
– George Vest

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...