Wednesday, May 8, 2013

We Are More Beautiful Than We Think...

As I type this, I'm sitting on my couch with big tears in my eyes that are threatening to ruin my mascara.  I just rewatched the "Dove Real Beauty Sketches" video that has been circulating around the web and on Facebook the past few weeks.
 
tears.  chill bumps.  wonder.  conviction.
 
 
 Pretty captivating.
 
If Gil drew a sketch of me, I'm sure I'd have a hard time describing myself, too.
Throughout the years, I have been so harsh and over-analyzed every inch of my face and body.
 
more this.  less that.  bigger chest.  tinier waist.  tanner skin.  flawless complexion.
I'm ashamed to say that the list could go on and on...
 
Today has just been one of those days... 
One of those days that I'm sure every single breathing female can relate to! 
One of those days where no matter how many times I glance in the mirror...I'm not exactly thrilled with what I see.
You know, one of those days where you shower, get dressed, put your makeup on, and fix your hair just like you do every other day...accept today - something just looks different!
Surely, I'm not the only one this happens to!
 
It also doesn't help that I received a catalog from Victoria's Secret in the mail today. 
I glanced at the first few pages and then threw that little booger in the trash!
 
We live in a world constantly bombarding us with subtle (and not so subtle) messages on a daily basis about what is beautiful and what is not...
Little whispers that constantly surround, mock, and overwhelm...
You hear them while watching tv and see them on a billboard as you're driving down the road...
Or, for that matter, just open any celebrity gossip magazine and flip through a couple of pages.
And the sad part is...we I buy into it...
 
When, in reality...it's not my face or body that is flawed - it's my self-perception.
We're all our own worst critics...  True?
Of course we all have insecurities - and those can make us feel vulnerable and hesitant.
But the lesson here is that we shouldn't spend so much time focused on our "flaws."
What a revelation to watch the descriptions of what other people saw...
I have come to terms with the fact that I will never be a model!
...And I will never be the perfect size (according to Glamour)...or look like a Covergirl 24/7!
It may be easier said than done sometimes...but, we need to embrace who we are. 
Who God made us to be.
We were created uniquely, and we were made that way for a reason.
For a purpose.  That only we can fulfill...
Remember that out of the billions of people in this world - no two are the same.
...And no one person is better than any other...
Remember that.
 
Someone will always have prettier hair.
Someone will always be skinnier.
Someone will always have something that you don't.
Remember that. 
But don't be consumed with it.
 
You are beautiful.
I am beautiful.
We are more beautiful than we think!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...